Who, me?

21 April 2013

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

books,ebook,novels,eat read shop

From Goodreads: "When seventeen-year-old Katy Swartz moved to West Virginia right before her senior year, she'd pretty much resigned herself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring, but then she spotted her hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up...until he opened his mouth. Daemon Black is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. It's hate at first sight, but when a stranger attacks her and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot guy next door? Well, he's an alien. Turns out that Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities and Katy is caught in the crosshairs. Daemon's touch has lit her up like the Vegas Strip and the only way she's getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until her alien mojo fades. That is if she doesn't kill him first."

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #1
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Paranormal 
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Vampires, werewolves, zombies, fairies. These, I'm  familiar with. Aliens, not so much. I was  hesitant to read this because alien books,  I know, aren't really something I would  enjoy. This book though has such high  rating on Goodreads that I thought, well,  it can't be that bad, can it? Well, I didn't like it, I'm sorry to say. The plot is well-paced, intriguing and  suspenseful enough. I finished the book in 2 days, which for me is really fast. I liked the characters enough, except Ash, the other twin, the teacher, and Daemon, who, the whole time, I called demon. My gosh, so they're very protective of their kind,  I get it, but did they have to be total jerks all the time? I realize that's about half of the characters, so maybe I didn't like the characters after all. The protagonist, Katy, reminded me a bit of Bella Swan. Awkward, self-deprecating girl who try as she might, couldn't help but fall for the oh-so-gorgeous schmuck who takes up bullying as a hobby. After all the pain and humiliation he put her through, Katy's permissiveness was nothing short of disgusting. But she did have a few redeeming moments, so the book wasn't entirely painful to read. Will I read book 2? If I have time and I've read everything on my TBR shelf and there's nothing good on TV, then I will. 3 stars for effort!

No comments: