Who, me?

03 May 2013

Book Review: My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi


books,ebook,novels,eat read shop
From Goodreads: "Lucy just had the worst week ever. Seriously, mega bad. And suddenly, it's all too much—she wants out. Out of her house, out of her head, out of her life. She wants to be a whole new Lucy. So she does something the old Lucy would never dream of. And now her life will never be the same. Now, how will she be able to have a boyfriend? What will she tell her friends? How will she face her family? Now her life is completely different... every moment is a gift. Because now she might not have many moments left."

My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi
Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
As a semi-hypochondriac, I try to steer clear of books where any form of illness is the central theme. I already worry incessantly about other stuff so fretting for what I may or may not have on top of that is overkill. Anyway, I was browsing through the new releases when this book caught my eye. I loved the dress! I thought if the blurb sounds as good as that dress looks, then I'm sold. It didn't say much though so I had to check the reviews for clues as to what Lucy did that changed her life. My Life After Now is the first HIV/AIDS-themed novel I have ever read. And though it's not one I would normally pick out, I'm glad I did. I was curious not just about the disease but as to how a 16-year-old would handle contracting the virus and living with it for the rest of her life too. With a realistic plot and relatable characters, Jessica Verdi has written a powerful, heart-wrenching story that just as much entertains as it enlightens and perhaps even moreso.

No comments: