Who, me?

25 April 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


books,ebook,novels,eat read shop
From Goodreads: "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary
My rating: 1 out of 5 stars
I didn't like this book. Not one bit. I finished it in 2 hours, actually reading the first few chapters and then skimming the rest. I couldn't make myself care for the characters at all. I find them all to be unbelievably irritating. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. THEM. Words cannot describe how much I hated the protagonist, Hazel, such a condescending know-it-all. She's beyond annoying. "I need an ambulance. The great love of my life has a malfunctioning G-tube." Seriously? Who talks to people like that, let alone a 911 operator? Had I been reading a paperback, I would at least have had the satisfaction of hurling it across the room or burning it. Barbaric, I know. I don't go around destroying books, mind you. I love books! But just this once, I was willing to make an exception. The plot, meh, nothing I haven't seen before. The dialogue, what teenagers speak like that? Use hamartia in a sentence: I could just say tragic flaw but hamartia makes me sound so much smarter than you. And don't even get me started on the stupid cigarette metaphor. Just horrible. I'm sorry. I'm not a bad person but I really hated everything about this book.

No comments: