Who, me?

26 April 2013

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


books,ebook,novels,eat read shop
From Goodreads: "Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles, #1
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Steampunk, Retellings, Fantasy
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
With a string of hot jerks and helpless heroines with possible masochistic tendencies, I'm just about to lose hope and re-assess my taste in fiction. But Cinder is a breath of fresh air. I love, love this book! I put off reading it because I thought like aliens, cyborgs are something that would not interest me. Boy was I wrong! Now all I can think of is why I hadn't read it sooner. I did figure out the twist early on. This book being a Cinderella retelling, I guess predictability is inevitable. So I didn't really mind and regardless, I still had goosebumps and my heart still raced a lot. I haven't read many fairy tale retellings but Cinder, I could tell, is one of the best. All the elements of the original tale - wicked stepmother, spoiled stepsisters (albeit one more than the other), the prince, the ball, the "pumpkin carriage", a godmother of sorts who I keep picturing as NCIS's David McCallum, and of course, the "glass slipper" are set in a futuristic world where hover cars and androids are just about as much a daily fixture as say a wardrobe that does not open to a magical world or portraits where subjects don't speak or move. It's just incredible! Scarlet has been sitting on my ereader for over a week now. I'm holding off, again, only this time for a totally different reason - Cress, which won't be out til next year!

No comments: