Who, me?

10 July 2013

Book Review: A Triumph For Sakura by Jason Ridler

Disclosure: A free copy of the book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an unbiased review.
books,ebook,novels,eat read shop

From Goodreads: "Famed fight coach Ned Bangs was down and out, until he saw Sakura fight four deadbloods like a champ. The catch? Unlike Ned, she was human. 
Under Ned’s guidance, Sakura fights from the street to the big time, gather fame and enemies as they reach the arena of Cascadia. Can they both survive when her courage fans the flames of a human revolution against their vampire overlords? 
What cost will they both pay for a Triumph for Sakura."

A Triumph For Sakura by Jason S. Ridler 
Genres: Dystopia, Vampires, Action, Fighting
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
I'm no stranger to dystopian, vampire, survival, or fight themed books. But A Triumph for Sakura, I would say is kind of new to me. It's interesting in that it's a mix of genres from the opposite ends of the spectrum that at first, I wondered how could anyone use vampires and boxing in the same sentence, let alone in a novel. I wasn't sure if I'm going to like it, honestly I'm not a fan of Kung Fu or wrestling or boxing so I doubted a novel, or anything really, could change that. But I did love the characters as well as the creepy, violent world Jason Ridler has created. A Triumph for Sakura is very action-packed, incredibly written, and will keep you turning the pages. Nancy Kilpatrick compared it to the Hunger Games, Fight Club and True Blood. Although not a young-adult novel, it's very reminiscent of a lot of young-adult books I have read. If I have to pick what it reminded me of the most, I would say Melissa Marr's Carnival of Souls, Julie Kagawa's The Eternity Cure, and Moira Young's Blood Red Road. If you're a fan of action and fighting, the imagery is vivid enough to keep you entertained through the last page. It's an intense read.

No comments: