Who, me?

19 July 2013

Book Review: In the After by Demitria Lunetta


books,ebook,novels,eat read shop
From Goodreads: "In what seems like an instant, Amy Harris's life is changed forever. They arrive and quickly begin killing off humanity one by one. No one knows how they got here—and even worse, no one knows how to stop Them.
Marooned in a high-security house, Amy manages to stay alive—and even rescues "Baby," a toddler she finds in an abandoned supermarket. For years they escape death, forging a bond as strong as sisters, until they are finally rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living on a former government research compound.
On the surface, New Hope is the happy ending Amy was looking for. She's even started falling for Rice, a handsome researcher she's become close with at the facility. But then she makes a shocking discovery. And staying in New Hope could mean losing her freedom . . . or her life.
With pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate, In the After is an action-packed dystopian page-turner that will keep fans guessing until each secret is revealed and every lie is uncovered."

Book Review: In the After by Demitria Lunetta
Series: In the After, #1 
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Post Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Zombies, Aliens
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Love it! Based on reviews, you either love it or you don't and I happen to love it. I will not go into any more details about what happened in the book as there have been quite a number of reviews already out there that will clue you in. I will however base this short review on other reviews, a comparison of sorts of what I think to what other people say about this book. So, here goes.

1. The first half is better than the second.
I didn't think so. For me, the last half is just as engrossing as the first, if not even more so. Here, you find answers to questions, you get a glimpse of what happens next. How can it be any less gripping?

2. Some parts are dragging.
Well, yes, there might have been some parts where my heart didn't skip a beat. But overall, I think the story is nicely paced and plot-driven.

3. Second half is confusing.
I didn't think it was hard to follow but I do get it why some people find the flashbacks and flashforwards a little disorienting.

4. Predictable.
I don't know, it might just be me, but I honestly didn't see the twist coming.

5. Similar to Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave.
I wasn't too crazy about The 5th Wave. It was way overhyped but in my opinion, failed to deliver. Aliens, kick-ass heroine, and survivalist theme, those are about as far as the similarities go I think.

All in all, for a debut novel, I think it's great.

No comments: